The Data Protection Act 1998 was brought into force on 1st March 2000.
The Act sets out eight principles for the fair and lawful obtaining, recording, use and security of personal information.
The Act works in two ways:
A: It gives you, as an individual, certain rights
B: It ensures that we, as organisations who record and use personal information, are open about how the information is used
Set out below are the principles that apply to Bedfordshire Police, Cambridgeshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary when handling personal information provided and obtained via the site.
1. We collect and use personal information so that we can carry out our legal and legitimate functions. These functions are defined by legislation, common law and best practice.
2. We will use the information we collect to:
3. At Bedfordshire Police, Cambridgeshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary we may use your personal information to help us evaluate our performance and effectiveness. We may contact you and ask you to give us your opinion of the service we are providing to the public. We will use the information you give to improve our service wherever we can. In some circumstances providing personal information in order to provide this feedback is optional.
4. Where possible and appropriate, you will be informed of the reason why we are holding your personal information. Personal information may be held without your knowledge or consent when this is necessary for purposes such as the prevention or detection of crime, the prosecution or apprehension of offenders, national security, and public safety.
5. All personal information is handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
6. We collect and use information only for policing and associated purposes. Where signing up for services via our website, we will automatically confirm signup details including passwords via email to you. We will not use or disclose your information for any other purposes without your consent unless we are required to do so by law, or it is in the over-riding public interest to do so.
7. We may give information to agents or contractors so that they can provide the facilities we need. In such cases legally binding contracts covering the use and security of your information will be put in place.
8. We may share information with other agencies under partnership working arrangements. Where personal information is shared, personal details that can identify individuals will be removed where appropriate. We will share personal information only when it is lawful to do so and when your rights have been fully considered.
9. We take great care to ensure the information we hold is accurate, kept up to date and is destroyed when no longer required.
10. We use a variety of physical, technical and procedural measures to protect personal information from unauthorised or accidental disclosure, loss or corruption.
11. Our staff are trained in the appropriate procedures and policies for correct handling of personal information.
12. We will normally provide a copy of any information we hold about you on request. If you believe the information we hold is inaccurate or misleading it will be checked and corrected if appropriate.
13. If you are unhappy with the way in which we have handled your personal information you can complain, in the first instance, to the Constabulary's Data Protection Officer or Professional Standards Department.
14. BBedfordshire Police, Cambridgeshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary reserve the right to gather information relating to site usage. Any information gathered is primarily for internal use to allow us to refine and improve the service we provide.
15. This website contains links to other sites that are not owned or operated by Bedfordshire Police, Cambridgeshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary. The purpose of these links is to provide further information about services which may be able to help you outside of the police organisation. Links to other sites provided on this website are reviewed for suitability, and we encourage you to report faulty or inappropriate links via our web form. Bedfordshire Police, Cambridgeshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary cannot be held responsible for the content of links or documents posted by other third party users. Nor are we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any third party or partnership sites. We suggest that for information on the privacy policies on these sites, please refer to their home pages.
16. By continuing to use this site you are considered as understanding and agreeing to the contents of this statement.
17. As a word of caution, children under 16 years of age should not submit any information to any website without prior consent of a parent or other responsible adult.
18. We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information but cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing online over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.
For more information on this issue see the FAQ section or contact the Data Protection Officers at:
Bedfordshire Police Headquarters, Woburn Rd, Kempston, Beds, MK43 9AX, or email email@example.com
Cambridgeshire Constabulary Headquarters, Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NP
Hertfordshire Constabulary Headquarters, Stanborough Rd, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL8 6FX